Philosophy, Purpose and Goals
South Bay Montessori School promotes the teaching of Dr. Maria Montessori, who believed that all deserve the opportunity to become the most complete “person” possible; continuing her work, we are dedicated to growing confidence, creativity and strength in each of the children entrusted to our care.
Like the first Casa de Bambini that Maria Montessori opened in 1907 in Rome, ours is a “house” for children not a classroom, but a “community”. It is a special learning environment designed for your child – to touch, experience, care for and learn from.
At South Bay Montessori School, each child progresses at his or her own pace – free to choose from work with a world of vivid “sensorial” materials and tools of “discovery.” Our dedicated staff encourages independent thinking and individual learning. We work toward the enhancement of each child’s awareness of and participation in the “wholeness of life.”
South Bay Montessori School’s method is based on respect of the individual child and their timetable for growth and development. Each day we strive to:
- Awaken a love of learning, a passion for knowledge, and a joy of creativity in each student.
- Provide a peaceful, secure, prepared environment where children long to be.
- Help children discover their abilities, find their independence and develop their self confidence.
- Foster a strong sense of self, respect for others and an ability to work as part of a group.
- Develop a strong academic foundation and a repertoire of life skills in each of our students.
- Create and provide programs which will heighten a child’s development through the processes of exploration and discovery with concrete materials, while nurturing a natural curiosity and a love of learning.
- Provide a reliable source of care, support, information and training for families.